Tuesday 4 December 2007

Lunchtime soccer game & evening track racing

A game of outdoor at lunch time, I played midfield for the first half and goalie for the second half to protect my energy levels a little. My second game as Captain (I'm actually VC, but standing in) seen us finish with a draw, 1-1. So my record is now 1 win, 1 draw & 0 loses.

Tonight was our first evening meet for the season, my first race of interest was the 800m at 7:40 ish. I started in lane 7 tonight sharing with a club mate (Adrian), once we crossed over I was in 8th out of 10 and sat there until the front straight where I past a younger teenager, 74 sec for the first lap which was about what I wanted to hear. I past 3 on the back straight and then was past by John (KSB) in the front straight and finished in mid 2:27, which is still fairly average for me, but it was a season best and I crossed 5th. OMG, my right achilles was VERY sore afterwards, it DOES not like my spikes , which resulted in a limp for 5 min!

I changed my concentration to some coaching, my cool down and then organising the relays (4x400) for the two men's teams. Next for me was the 1500, I was only half wanting to do this, my knees and ankles were sore (as well my achilles) but I wanted to ensure that we had 6 men to run, so I thought I'll cruise 5:20ish and one of the 19 year old boys wanted to cruise too. I was in the 3rd heat with a big field, I took off at a very comfy pace with Darren next to me telling me this was the slowest he had every raced (didn't care), the first 400 time was called, 87, shit that was slow, I've run faster in a 3k. Oh well wasn't fussed, Darren slightly increased the pace and I just sat next to him, 85 (I was 12 sec behind last week), at the 1k Darren moved slightly ahead and I thought I may as well follow him and I started passing ppl, which was cool and surprisingly finished in 5:11, which was my second fastest for the season and only 5 sec behind last week.

Finished off with a cool down, coaching and watching relays.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

As usual, all things are relative - 5:11 is an unobtainable time for me these days.

Take care of the achilles.

Regarding All-Schools, two medals from our group thus far - gold and bronze in the 1500 :)