Thursday 2 November 2006

Thu 02 Nov 06, Vic Milers Meet One - 1500m

6km today and 45km for the week so far.

Overnight and throughout the majority of the morning Melbourne received some much required rain, a lot of it! Throughout the morning all I could think about was I had convinced eleven club mates to drive all the way to Box Hill to run in the rain... But thankfully just after 2pm it started to clear.

I arrived at the track around 6:40ish, enough time to sit around and chat and then get changed from my pink shirt (raising money for breast cancer) and other work clothes. In my heat there were four Western A's (pic below), we waited for Brad to race his 800, we were all hoping he could break the 2 min mark tonight, but it wasn't to be, 2:01. :-( bad luck Brad, it will come, very soon!

My race was scheduled for 8:15pm, I was hoping to run 4:55 tonight. I was lined up in the 2nd position (good) and we had a pacer (Vaughan from Sandy & S2F training groups) who was there to lead the pack around for a 4:30 time, but he took off a little fast, which kind of threw me, but it was my fault. My first lap I was settle 3rd or 4th last in a heat of 13, when I past the s/f line the time was called 51/52, shit, way too fast, I was hoping to hear 56/57, so the first 400 was done in 71/2. Along the back straight I caught up to Mitch (too fast too) and we both settled and relaxed, after 600m I went around him. Not sure of my splits from here, I heard 4 min with 300m to go and I crossed 2nd last in 4:56.8 with two of my training partners in front of me and Dave S behind me.

As a club we did well, with Mitch, Dave T & Amy running PBs and seven other happy runners.




From right to left; Mitch, Me, Dave T & Dave S. The pacer is in the green Sandy uniform & the winner, Ash (4:30) in the white singlet with the Malvern blue badge.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Not bad Stu. I don't think the 51/2 is a huge problem, as long as you 'settle' after that. Usually most time is lost in the third lap of 15s, so that's the one to try and do well.

I hope the team goes well in the relays tomorrow - sounds like a fun day.