Sunday 5 November 2006

Sun 05 Nov 06, Nigel Aylott Relay with the MMM

16-7km today and for the week so far.

Today I raced with the Melbourne Midday Milers in a race dedicated to the memory of Nigel Aylott. There were seven teams with four runners each, a ranking of all runners is published, one through to 28, with the bottom seven this year acting as the Captains and selecting their teams in a fair and logical order, number 28 picks first, then 27 etc. Once everyone has had their first pick the number 22 (team 7) starts the picking of the third team member. Everyone runs four legs which includes a 3km time trial in which 2 members of each team compete.

My stages today were exactly the same as last year, stages 2, 6, 8 & 14. As a general rule most of the "number 4's" ran these legs.

My times: (last year)
3.6km - 14:13 (14:43)
3.25km - 13:48 (12:47), 1 min slower, but this was into a very tough head wind!!!
3km - 11:46 (12:01)
3.7km - 14:10 (13:18), predominantly into a head wind!

Whilst two of my legs were slower than last year, I know I ran a lot better in all four legs, it was just the conditions that slowed the times. This was the same for nearly everyone else who ran these legs this year and last year.

My team was made up of Max (MMM Pres & Malvern Harrier), Mike (MMM runner & KSB AC), Mark (MMM runner & will be running with Sandringham next year, thats all they need, another 77 min HM runner) and of course me... And we were the winning team over the entire day!!! :-)

A great day, lots of sun, tired legs and I'm sure the hunger pains will go away soon.

I'm sure some pictures will soon be published, there were cameras everywhere.

4 comments:

Tesso said...

Congrats on the win! It sounds like such a fun event, but then checking the course it looks soooo tough.

Must be hard backing up so often too. What did you do between runs?

Looking forward to some pics.

Vicky said...

Good work in the relay Stu (and the 1500m).

You asked when my next half is - can you believe I'm attempting two half marathons within 3 weeks of each other?! But I am being very careful, not pushing too hard for the next one, just making sure I recover well first and just maintaining the leg turn-over in between. All too aware how easy it is to get injured again with my history - but have to seize the opportunity while I can too. Hence the massage tonight!

Cheers, MAR.

Ewen said...

Congrats on the win Stu. That's quite an interval session when you think about it!

Em said...

Looks like a great day with some solid running.

You know if you eat that generally stops the tummy rumbling.